Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Keeping Your Beans in the Family



Making their debut in Graveley Garden this season will be my family's heirloom climbing pole beans. This is the very seed my Uncle Olaf's wife Yvette Tiveron carried across the Atlantic Ocean when she immigrated to Canada from Belgium after WW2. In my family over the decades the seed was saved and forever referred to as "Belgian Beans."

My nono Luigi grew these babies religiously for at least 30 years in Timmins Ontario, using discarded hockey sticks from the nearby outdoor rink as poles. These were his faves.

The beans are incredibly meaty, they don't get mushy in your soup, which always made them the prime ingredient in our minestrone. Not to mention, they are simply beautiful.

3 comments:

Sawsee said...

Hi!

I grew orca beans last year, another beautiful bean!

Christopher Pollon said...

Are these climbers? or bush beans? They sound like a west coast variety :)

Sawsee said...

Hi! I believe they were bush beans; I forget! I must have been out in the sun too long!

Here is the website that I got them from:

http://www.goodearthfarms.ca/seeds.html